Welcome to St. Peter’s Church – past and present
A church on this site has existed since 1059, when Welford was given by Sweyn, Earl of Gloucester, to the Saxon priory of Deer Hurst (on the Severn below Tewksbury). Monks from Deerhurst built a small church on the present site of Welford Church. All that remains of that Church is the bowl of the font. Between 1100 and 1170 a Norman Church was built to repalce the Saxon one. After the Hundred Years War (1336 – 1441) St Peter’s passed to the Abbey of Tewksbury and the Benedictine monks restored the Church and rebuilt the chancel with its perpendicular decorated Gothic windows. The windows in the north and south aisles were replaced with pews and the two galleries were added.
Some Key Features
THE SCREEN: replaces one removed in the 16th or 17th century. It is a copy made in the 1920’s of a Benedictine screen carved by Joseph Northcott of Bearworthy in Devon.
EAST WINDOW AND CHANCEL: the window dates from 1924 and was made by a well-known artist: Geoffrey Webb. The chancel was refurbished with the carved oak choir stalls and organ was installed.
BELLS: Welford has always been noted for its bell ringing. Tradition has it that Welford bells rang out at the victory of the battle of Crecy in 1346. There is now a peal of eight.
LICH GATE: (Old spelling!) is a favourite subject for artists, painters, and photographers. It is a replica of the one built at the end of the 1300’s.
Church services take place as detailed below. You are very welcome to join us. Please check at the bottom of this web page or the noticeboard in the Church Porch for specific monthly service details. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or queries.
St. Peter’s Welford and All Saints’, Weston (part of the Avonvale Benefice Group of Churches along with St. Swithin’s, Quinton, St. James the Great, Long Marston and Meon Vale Church)
- Sunday Morning Service 10am
- Sunday Morning Kids Church at 11.15am
- Morning Prayer on Monday, Wednesday and Friday10am – a short service with Bible Readings and the opportunity for open prayer.
- Coffee Morning after Morning Prayer on Wednesday at 10.20am – Join us for a coffee and chat (please bring your own refreshments!)
- Evening Prayer at 6.30pm (hosted by John Ryder) a short service of Bible Readings and prayers.
- Revd Ros Greenhalgh (Rector) revdrosgreenhalgh@
gmail.com 01789 751546
- Ian Grundy (Churchwarden – St. Peter’s, Welford) email@example.com 07714 797771
- Tim Greenhalgh (Deputy Churchwarden – St. Peter’s, Welford) firstname.lastname@example.org 01789 751546
- Richard Bluck (Churchwarden – All Saints’, Weston) 01789 750688
- Revd Jim Edie (Assistant Curate) email@example.com 01789 722416
- Revd Yvette Grundy (Assistant Curate) firstname.lastname@example.org 01789 750006