Main menu

Alcester South SNT Update

Welford Incidents

  • Burglary. Long Marston Road. Two males discovered in premises by owner.
    6.50pm Tuesday 24th January. 0333 24/01/2023
How you can make it safer outside your school?

You can help by…
• keeping your speed low;
• always letting your child out of your vehicle on to the pavement – never on to the road;
• checking for pedestrians and cyclists before you or your child open the car door; and
• always stopping for the school crossing Patrol
Please do not…
• park on yellow lines, zig-zags or block the school entrance;
• park on the pavement, across dropped kerbs or residents’ driveways;
• park opposite or within ten metres of a junction;
• stop in the middle of the road to drop your child off, even for a few seconds; or
• block the road – emergency vehicles and other traffic may need access
Have you thought about…
• The health benefits of walking or cycling one (or more) days a week?
• Setting up a walking bus with other parents and the school?
• Car sharing?
• Using public transport?
• Parking nearby and then walking the rest of the way


A drone is a remote-controlled aircraft that doesn’t have a pilot on-board. Drones range from small children’s toys to large military systems. This includes remote-controlled model planes and helicopters.
There are different rules for different types (categories) of drone flight. The categories depend mainly on the weight of the drone, where you intend to fly, and how close you will be to people and built-up areas (towns and cities).

Your responsibility – If you fly or own a drone, it’s your responsibility to make sure all flights are safe and legal.
The Drone and Model Aircraft Code – The Drone and Model Aircraft Code is like the Highway Code for drones. It was created by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and it tells you how to fly a drone legally and safely.
Registration – The operator. The operator of a drone is usually the owner. If a drone is not owned by a single person, then a designated person known as the manager is the operator. For example, if a club owns a drone that members can use, then the club must designate a manager for the drone. If you are the operator you must register with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and get an OperatorID if the drone:
• weighs over 250g or
• has a camera that can take photos or record video
• You must clearly display your OperatorID on every drone you own or manage.
Toys – You don’t need an OperatorID for a drone that is classed as a toy. Your drone is likely to be a toy if:
• maker or shop describes it as a toy
• you bought it from a toy shop
• it is marked as suitable for under 14s
• it was advertised or packaged to attract children

The pilot – Anyone flying (piloting) a drone that weighs over 250g must pass a basic test with the CAA to get a FlyerID. They must carry their FlyerID details at all times while flying. Some categories have extra requirements for pilots.
Insurance – You need insurance if:
• you are not using it for sport or recreation – for example you are using it for work or
• your drone weighs over 20kg
• Insurance must be at least EC 785/2004 standard.
Flight rules – This summary of the rules applies to most drone flights. But you must make sure you know which category your drone is in, and exactly which rules apply.
• Don’t endanger anyone or anything while flying a drone.
• You must be able to see the drone (including the space around it) at all times.
• Don’t fly if you’ve drunk alcohol or taken drugs.
• Respect other people’s privacy and know what you can and cannot do with photos and videos.
Don’t fly:
• over crowds (known as ‘assemblies’ in the rules)
• over 400ft (120m) from the ground
• in Restricted Airspace, for example near aerodromes, unless you get permission
• where fire, police or ambulance services are responding to an emergency, unless you get permission. Depending on which category of drone you’re flying you may need to stay at least:
• 50m away from crowds and other people
• 150m away from built-up areas (towns and cities)
The law The laws on flying drones are part of the Air Navigation Order 2016.
In the law:
• a drone is called an Unmanned Aircraft (UA)
• the whole system used to fly a drone (including the controller or mobile app) is called an Unmanned Aerial System (UAS)
• the Drone Operator is the person or organisation that owns or manages the drone
• the Drone Pilot is whoever is actually flying the drone
The most important sections of the rules for drones are articles 265A to 265F, which are the rules on Drone Operators, Drone Pilots and Flight Categories.
If you think someone may be breaking the law – If you’ve read the rules and you think someone might be breaking the law, you can report a crime to us:
• online
• by calling 101
• at a police station
• Always call 999 in an emergency.
Police powers – Our powers to do with drones are in part 3 of the Air Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Act 2021. If we think a drone could be connected to an offence, we can:
• make you land your drone
• stop and search people or vehicles to find drones or drone equipment
• confiscate and keep drones or drone equipment found during a search
We can require you to show us:
• registration details and other information (for both pilots and operators)
• evidence of permission to fly where necessary (for example to fly near an aerodrome)
• We can also check a drone to understand which rules apply to it.

For further information on the use of drones, please visit these websites: –

Leave a Reply