Extract from a letter to our Parish Clerk (AdeleStreet) –
I am writing to you from the Avon to Arrow Greenway Project (AAGP) which aims to open up path and cycleways between Evesham and Alcester largely along the route of old railway lines. We have recently been approached to extend the ambition of an already ambitious project by looking at the possibility of a route from Broom to Stratford and your parish lies on, or very close to, the proposed path of this link. I have attached a number of documents to give you information about us and our project. All the parishes along the original route are fully supportive of the project and we hope very much, once you have had time to consider the idea, you will be too. Officers of the AAGP are available to meet with you either in person or by a Zoom link to answer questions and offer further information at any time suitable to you and your council.
I have highlighted below our key aims and also an extract from our latest newsletter (attached) which offers a summary of the background to the Broom/Stratford link concept. The newsletter also will give you an idea of how far we have progressed and the manner in which we are engaging with both district and county councils in order to become a key part of their agendas for health, well-being and environmental benefit.
- To promote safe and responsible leisure routes (e.g. cycling, walking) within and across Parish boundaries thereby improving the health and well-being of the local population
- To provide a forum for neighbouring communities establish links with safe cycle and pathway routes
- To champion and seek funding for the development of an improved infrastructure for cyclists and walkers in the area
- To provide a source of information and advice to local and visiting cyclists and walkers
- To promote tourism and encourage visiting cyclists and walkers to use local businesses
- To reduce dependency on the motor car, reduce pollution and so improve our environment
Extract from the AAGP August 2020 Newsletter
Initial investigation of land ownership and other enquiries have shown that there seems to be a reasonable prospect of a continuous route to Stratford upon Avon being possible using elements of the old railway line. This could link up with an existing shared pedestrian cycle way within Stratford Town along the old railway line, past Stratford Racecourse and link up with the Stratford Greenway.
Parishes and Communities on the route
The route passes through, or close to, the parishes of Bidford, Binton, Temple Grafton, Welford, Luddington and Stratford upon Avon TC. We will be writing to all of them to seek their engagement. The route is wholly contained within Stratford upon Avon District Council and Warwickshire County Council areas.
Reasons for inclusion of the route
- The link would be an important part of the off road network being developed in the area and would link up with both the AAGP spine route and the existing Stratford Greenway.
- The link would allow longer journeys to be made to between the three historic towns Alcester, Evesham and Stratford and would have serious tourist potential.
- The inclusion of the Stratford upon Avon link should increase the attraction of the AAGP to SDC and WCC.
- This extension of the project will significantly increase the chances of future funding for the project.
I would be most grateful if you could put this proposal as an agenda item for your next PC meeting and please do let me know if you would like us to attend and speak to your parish councillors.
Joe Harvey ( Chair AAGP ) – 07778650275, joeharvey@
Avon and Arrow Greenway Project,
Registered Charity Number 1188324
The Parish Council have met with AAGP and are fully supportive of the project. Attached are outlines of the proposed routes, the project constitution and the latest newsletter.